| Celebrate the ‘Ship of the Desert’ at Bikaner |
The Camel Festival Bikaner is a two-day event organized every year in the month of January. The Camel Festival is dedicated to the camels that survive in Bikaner’s harsh weather conditions. The festival was initiated by the Rajasthan government’s Department of Tourism, Art and Culture as a means to celebrate the contributions of camels that are the lifeline of Bikaner assisting the locals in routine work, transport and also acting as an important part of India’s Border Security Force.
Highlights of Camel Festival, Bikaner
- Entertainment performances and competitions are held
- Camels are dressed in colorful ornaments and bridles
- Experience heritage walks, camel rides and camel safaris
- Visitors also shop for traditional Rajasthani apparel, accessories and artifacts
- Several food stalls serving the traditional Rajasthani cuisine are set up
- Try out unique sweets made of camel milk
What to expect!
- The event begins with a ceremonial parade
- Performances such as camel dance, camel games, fire dance, Rajasthani folk dances and puppet shows are held
- The event ends with magnificent fireworks
Connectivity to venue:
- The nearest airport to Bikaner is Jodhpur International Airport. The city of Bikaner lies 235 kilometers from Jodhpur airport.
- Supreme Airlines in association with the State Government of Rajasthan connects cities such as Bikaner, Kota, Udaipur, Jaisalmer and many more cities within Rajasthan.
- Bikaner is also well connected to all Indian cities via roads. There are a number of buses, taxis and private vehicles that ply on this route. You can avail of any of these facilities to reach Bikaner.
- Contact our travel connoisseurs to help you reach the venue comfortably. Our guides can escort you to the festival venue and explain more about the festival and its history.
- It could get really cold in Bikaner in the month of January especially during the evenings. We recommend that you pack enough warm clothing.
- Carry sunscreen lotions as well to protect your skin from the sun during day time.
- Make sure you visit the Junagadh Fort while you are at Bikaner.
- Ensure that you book your tour a few months in advance to visit Bikaner during the Camel Festival as the city has a surge in visitors during this time of the year.