| Explore the cultural extravaganza at Desert Festival Jaisalmer |
The Desert Festival Jaisalmer is an annual event that takes place every year in the month of February. This Indian festival is celebrated amidst the beautiful sand dunes of the Thar Desert, in the Sam dunes near Jaisalmer. The legends say that the city of Jaisalmer was established by the descendent of the Yadava clan as prophesized by Lord Krishna and the festival is celebrated commemorating the completion of the prophecy. The government of Rajasthan organizes the Desert Festival Jaisalmer, thus drawing a great number of international visitors into the city.
Highlights of Desert Festival Jaisalmer
- The annual event that occurs over a course of three days
- Don’t miss the Gair and the fire folk dances
- Gymnastic acts by Kalabaz or the Nats communities of local nomads
- Soulful folk music recitals and ballads by Bhopa’s Langhas and Manganiars
- Watch and cheer for the camel races and camel polo
- Air Force display, cricket match, and parachuting occurs during the festival
What to expect!
- The festival begins with a procession from the Jaisalmer Fort
- The locals dress in colorful and traditional costumes
- Performances depicting the tragedies and victories of the desert kingdom
- Competitions such as tug-of-war, turban tying, and the longest mustache contest
- Indulge in Rajasthan’s delicious cuisine
- Shop in interesting stalls displaying artifacts, handicrafts, and souvenirs
Connectivity to venue:
- Jodhpur Airport is the nearest international airport to reach Jaisalmer.
- You can hire a private vehicle from Jodhpur Airport to reach Jaisalmer comfortably.
- Jaisalmer has an excellent road infrastructure and the city is well connected with all Indian cities.
- Our guides will escort you to the festival venue and explain the festival in detail.
- The climate in Jaisalmer will be pleasant in the month of February.
- Please carry warm clothing as the climate can get chilly at night.
- Don’t miss the amazing camel safari at the stunning Sam Sand Dunes.
- Shop for traditional Rajasthani jewelry and colorful mirror-work attires.
- Contact our travel experts if you are planning to travel to India for the Desert Festival, Jaisalmer.
- During Indian Festivals it is recommended to book your trip in advance to avoid the extreme rush in hotels and the unavailability of comfortable transport.