| Experience the pomp and show at Goa Carnival |
Goa Carnival or ‘Viva Carnival’ is based on the Christian tradition of Mardi Gras in the Indian State of Goa. Goa Carnival is an extravagant affair spanning over a course of 4 days observed all across Goa with great zeal and fervor. The Carnival usually starts off on Fat Saturday (Sabado Gordo) and concludes on Fat Tuesday (Shrove Tuesday) before Ash Wednesday and the first day of the Catholic season of Lent. This carnival is considerably smaller than Rio Carnival in Brazil or the Portuguese Carnival of Madeira, however, it is one of the largest carnivals in India.
Highlights of Goa Carnival
- King Momo (usually a local resident) presides over the festival
- Indulge in hedonistic feasts and drinking
- Massive parades that move across the streets of Goa
- Live bands and dances
- Beautifully decorated streets and grand balls
- Attend the local wine festival ‘Grape Escapade’
What to expect!
- Parade commences on Fat Saturday evening with a procession headed by King Momo
- Highlights of the parade include Balloons, horse-drawn carriages, decorated bullock carts, and elaborate floats
- Other festivities include dancing troupes, costume and masquerade parties, live music, sports competitions
- Indulge in the amazing Goan delicacies
Connectivity to venue:
- Goa International Airport has several flights connecting Goa to most cities in India and internationally as well
- Goa is well connected to Indian cities like Mumbai, Pune, and Bangalore by a well-knit network of roadways.
- Our guide can help you get to the festival venue in comfort and help you out will all that you may need to know regarding the carnival.
- Goa experiences a surge in the number of visitors during the Goa Carnival eager to indulge in feasting and revelry.
- Hence if you are planning to travel to Goa during the carnival, it is recommended that you book your accommodation and vehicle well in advance.
- The temperature in February varies between 20°C to 27°C
- Be sure to carry light and airy clothing as the weather will be warmer as compared to Northern India
- Pack a pair of comfortable flip-flops, hats, scarves and sunscreen lotion for your trip to Goa.