| Experience Lohri celebrations in Amritsar |
Lohri is one of the most popular festivals in North India, celebrated every year in the month of January with great fervor and gusto. It is believed that the festival commemorates the passing of the winter solstice. The Lohri festival is known as a winter crop harvest celebration. Lohri Festival in India holds great importance among farmers. The festival of Lohri is also associated with the sun god or the god of fire.
Highlights of Lohri
- Celebrated with the lighting of a bonfire
- People throw puffed rice, peanuts and sweets into the bonfire
- Men and women walk around the bonfire and bow before it in reverence
- Food items are thrown in the bonfire as it is believed to bring good luck
- Traditional songs and dances such as bhangra and gidda add to the celebrations of Lohri
- The celebrations end with scrumptious dinner
What to expect!
- During the day, children go from door to door singing folk songs asking for treats
- Traditional Punjabi dishes like ‘Sarson da saag’, ‘Makki di roti’ and other festive delicacies are prepared
- People dress in new clothes and fineries
- Exchanging gifts and prasad with friends, families, and neighbors is common during Lohri
- Various fairs are organized during Lohri that gathers people from all over the world
Connectivity to venue:
- There are regular flights from major cities of India into Sri Guru Ram Dass Jee International Airport in Amritsar.
- The city of Amritsar is well connected by road; there are regular bus services, to and from major north Indian cities.
- For transportation within the city, you can opt for private vehicles, auto-rickshaws, taxis or buses.
- Our guides can escort you to the venue to observe the Lohri celebrations and explain the full festivities, customs and rituals.
- To avoid any last-minute hassles, it is better to pre-book the tour in advance to get good hotels and flights. Contact our travel experts for the exact dates.
- Warm clothes are recommended as the state experiences winter in January.
- It is recommended to pack a pair of comfortable walking shoes.