| Witness the celebration of Onam Festival in India |
Onam is a harvest festival celebrated with great zeal in Kerala. Onam Festival is widely believed to be the state festival of Kerala paying homage to Mahabali, the demon king of ancient Kerala. Locals believe that Mahabali returns to his subjects on the auspicious day of the Onam Festival. The celebration spans over a duration of 10 days accompanied by numerous festivities. Onam Festival in India is a harmonious, cheerful and exuberant festival celebrated by people across all states and the world regardless of social class and creed.
Highlights of Onam Festival
- Processions featuring the culture of Kerala
- Houses are decorated with lamps and intricate flower arrangements known as Pookalam
- Enjoy traditional music and dance events
- Traditional snake boat race
- Preparation of the traditional feast or Onasadhya
What to expect!
- Presentation of folk art forms like Kathakali, Thiruvathirakali or Kummattikali
- Singing of the Onappaattu, a traditional song
- People dressed in new clothes and adorning fine jewelry
- Distribution of alms to the poor
- Amazing display of fireworks
Connectivity to venue:
- Cochin International Airport has international and domestic flights operating here connecting you to different parts of the world.
- Kochi is linked with important cities like Delhi, Mumbai, and Chennai by train.
- Kochi has a good network of roads connecting the city to all major towns and cities in South India and the rest of India.
- Our guides will assist you in reaching the venue explaining all the significance, rituals and customs followed during the Onam Festival
- Kochi remains hot and humid throughout the year.
- The best time to visit Kochi is from October to March when the weather is pleasant.
- Choose clothes which are loose, airy and comfortable
- Dress modestly while visiting temples or places of worship
- Be sure to carry a stole to cover your head and body
- Carry a pair of comfortable footwear
- Contact our travel experts for a customized itinerary, if you plan a visit to Kochi during the Onam Festival