| Creating a better future for the girl child |
Project ‘Nanhi Kali’ was introduced by businessman Anand Mahindra in 1996 with the objective of educating underprivileged girls in India. Over the past few years, Project Nanhi Kali has reached out to over 370,000 underprivileged girls across several states in India. The project addresses social issues such as child marriage, child labor along with issues such as low female workforce participation and female literacy. The organization works on the sponsorship of children especially for the girl child ensuring that they complete formal education. The NGO is committed to assisting underprivileged girls with educational support so that the girls can grow up to be confident and self-reliant.
Initiatives of Nanhi Kali
- Project Nanhi Kali ensures that underprivileged girls complete 10 years of formal schooling
- Social workers reach out to families to create awareness of girl child education
- Nanhi Kali Academic Support Centers offers constant academic support for students
- They are provided with an annual school supplies kit which includes all stationery items
- They are also provided with a 12-month supply of sanitary napkins to help the girl attend school regularly with dignity
Areas of Operation
- Project Nanhi Kali supports young girls to gain a formal education in the North Indian states of Punjab, Uttar Pradesh, and West Bengal.
- The project has expanded itself into South India in the states of Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu supporting young girls through their varied programs.
- Nanhi Kali also has its presence in Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, and Maharashtra
Project Nanhi Kali has been highly successful in ensuring most of the girls enrolled in the program complete their schooling and do not drop out before the completion of Class 10. Nanhi Kali team ensures that girls do not drop out by helping them enroll in local schools even if they change their residence. Their performance and progress are closely monitored to ensure that they do well. You have the option of making donations online for the sponsorship of children if you wish to donate towards this charitable cause. Please contact your travel connoisseur, if you wish to add a visit to their learning center or schools while you are in Mumbai.